sabato 18 gennaio 2014

WST/11/05. § 11. William Shakespeare Teatro Completo: 2°. Antony and Cleopatra: e) Act V.



------

ACT V
SCENE I. Alexandria. OCTAVIUS CAESAR's camp.

    Enter OCTAVIUS CAESAR, AGRIPPA, DOLABELLA, MECAENAS, GALLUS, PROCULEIUS, and others, his council of war

OCTAVIUS CAESAR

    Go to him, Dolabella, bid him yield;
    Being so frustrate, tell him he mocks
    The pauses that he makes.

DOLABELLA

    Caesar, I shall.

    Exit

    Enter DERCETAS, with the sword of MARK ANTONY

OCTAVIUS CAESAR

    Wherefore is that? and what art thou that darest
    Appear thus to us?

DERCETAS

    I am call'd Dercetas;
    Mark Antony I served, who best was worthy
    Best to be served: whilst he stood up and spoke,
    He was my master; and I wore my life
    To spend upon his haters. If thou please
    To take me to thee, as I was to him
    I'll be to Caesar; if thou pleasest not,
    I yield thee up my life.

OCTAVIUS CAESAR

    What is't thou say'st?

DERCETAS

    I say, O Caesar, Antony is dead.

OCTAVIUS CAESAR

    The breaking of so great a thing should make
    A greater crack: the round world
    Should have shook lions into civil streets,
    And citizens to their dens: the death of Antony
    Is not a single doom; in the name lay
    A moiety of the world.

DERCETAS

    He is dead, Caesar:
    Not by a public minister of justice,
    Nor by a hired knife; but that self hand,
    Which writ his honour in the acts it did,
    Hath, with the courage which the heart did lend it,
    Splitted the heart. This is his sword;
    I robb'd his wound of it; behold it stain'd
    With his most noble blood.

OCTAVIUS CAESAR

    Look you sad, friends?
    The gods rebuke me, but it is tidings
    To wash the eyes of kings.

AGRIPPA

    And strange it is,
    That nature must compel us to lament
    Our most persisted deeds.

MECAENAS

    His taints and honours
    Waged equal with him.

AGRIPPA

    A rarer spirit never
    Did steer humanity: but you, gods, will give us
    Some faults to make us men. Caesar is touch'd.

MECAENAS

    When such a spacious mirror's set before him,
    He needs must see himself.

OCTAVIUS CAESAR

    O Antony!
    I have follow'd thee to this; but we do lance
    Diseases in our bodies: I must perforce
    Have shown to thee such a declining day,
    Or look on thine; we could not stall together
    In the whole world: but yet let me lament,
    With tears as sovereign as the blood of hearts,
    That thou, my brother, my competitor
    In top of all design, my mate in empire,
    Friend and companion in the front of war,
    The arm of mine own body, and the heart
    Where mine his thoughts did kindle,--that our stars,
    Unreconciliable, should divide
    Our equalness to this. Hear me, good friends--
    But I will tell you at some meeter season:

    Enter an Egyptian
    The business of this man looks out of him;
    We'll hear him what he says. Whence are you?

Egyptian

    A poor Egyptian yet. The queen my mistress,
    Confined in all she has, her monument,
    Of thy intents desires instruction,
    That she preparedly may frame herself
    To the way she's forced to.

OCTAVIUS CAESAR

    Bid her have good heart:
    She soon shall know of us, by some of ours,
    How honourable and how kindly we
    Determine for her; for Caesar cannot live
    To be ungentle.

Egyptian

    So the gods preserve thee!

    Exit

OCTAVIUS CAESAR

    Come hither, Proculeius. Go and say,
    We purpose her no shame: give her what comforts
    The quality of her passion shall require,
    Lest, in her greatness, by some mortal stroke
    She do defeat us; for her life in Rome
    Would be eternal in our triumph: go,
    And with your speediest bring us what she says,
    And how you find of her.

PROCULEIUS

    Caesar, I shall.

    Exit

OCTAVIUS CAESAR

    Gallus, go you along.

    Exit GALLUS
    Where's Dolabella,
    To second Proculeius?

All

    Dolabella!

OCTAVIUS CAESAR

    Let him alone, for I remember now
    How he's employ'd: he shall in time be ready.
    Go with me to my tent; where you shall see
    How hardly I was drawn into this war;
    How calm and gentle I proceeded still
    In all my writings: go with me, and see
    What I can show in this.

    Exeunt

SCENE II. Alexandria. A room in the monument.

    Enter CLEOPATRA, CHARMIAN, and IRAS

CLEOPATRA

    My desolation does begin to make
    A better life. 'Tis paltry to be Caesar;
    Not being Fortune, he's but Fortune's knave,
    A minister of her will: and it is great
    To do that thing that ends all other deeds;
    Which shackles accidents and bolts up change;
    Which sleeps, and never palates more the dug,
    The beggar's nurse and Caesar's.

    Enter, to the gates of the monument, PROCULEIUS, GALLUS and Soldiers

PROCULEIUS

    Caesar sends greeting to the Queen of Egypt;
    And bids thee study on what fair demands
    Thou mean'st to have him grant thee.

CLEOPATRA

    What's thy name?

PROCULEIUS

    My name is Proculeius.

CLEOPATRA

    Antony
    Did tell me of you, bade me trust you; but
    I do not greatly care to be deceived,
    That have no use for trusting. If your master
    Would have a queen his beggar, you must tell him,
    That majesty, to keep decorum, must
    No less beg than a kingdom: if he please
    To give me conquer'd Egypt for my son,
    He gives me so much of mine own, as I
    Will kneel to him with thanks.

PROCULEIUS

    Be of good cheer;
    You're fall'n into a princely hand, fear nothing:
    Make your full reference freely to my lord,
    Who is so full of grace, that it flows over
    On all that need: let me report to him
    Your sweet dependency; and you shall find
    A conqueror that will pray in aid for kindness,
    Where he for grace is kneel'd to.

CLEOPATRA

    Pray you, tell him
    I am his fortune's vassal, and I send him
    The greatness he has got. I hourly learn
    A doctrine of obedience; and would gladly
    Look him i' the face.

PROCULEIUS

    This I'll report, dear lady.
    Have comfort, for I know your plight is pitied
    Of him that caused it.

GALLUS

    You see how easily she may be surprised:

    Here PROCULEIUS and two of the Guard ascend the monument by a ladder placed against a window, and, having descended, come behind CLEOPATRA. Some of the Guard unbar and open the gates

    To PROCULEIUS and the Guard
    Guard her till Caesar come.

    Exit

IRAS

    Royal queen!

CHARMIAN

    O Cleopatra! thou art taken, queen:

CLEOPATRA

    Quick, quick, good hands.

    Drawing a dagger

PROCULEIUS

    Hold, worthy lady, hold:

    Seizes and disarms her
    Do not yourself such wrong, who are in this
    Relieved, but not betray'd.

CLEOPATRA

    What, of death too,
    That rids our dogs of languish?

PROCULEIUS

    Cleopatra,
    Do not abuse my master's bounty by
    The undoing of yourself: let the world see
    His nobleness well acted, which your death
    Will never let come forth.

CLEOPATRA

    Where art thou, death?
    Come hither, come! come, come, and take a queen
    Worthy many babes and beggars!

PROCULEIUS

    O, temperance, lady!

CLEOPATRA

    Sir, I will eat no meat, I'll not drink, sir;
    If idle talk will once be necessary,
    I'll not sleep neither: this mortal house I'll ruin,
    Do Caesar what he can. Know, sir, that I
    Will not wait pinion'd at your master's court;
    Nor once be chastised with the sober eye
    Of dull Octavia. Shall they hoist me up
    And show me to the shouting varletry
    Of censuring Rome? Rather a ditch in Egypt
    Be gentle grave unto me! rather on Nilus' mud
    Lay me stark naked, and let the water-flies
    Blow me into abhorring! rather make
    My country's high pyramides my gibbet,
    And hang me up in chains!

PROCULEIUS

    You do extend
    These thoughts of horror further than you shall
    Find cause in Caesar.

    Enter DOLABELLA

DOLABELLA

    Proculeius,
    What thou hast done thy master Caesar knows,
    And he hath sent for thee: for the queen,
    I'll take her to my guard.

PROCULEIUS

    So, Dolabella,
    It shall content me best: be gentle to her.

    To CLEOPATRA
    To Caesar I will speak what you shall please,
    If you'll employ me to him.

CLEOPATRA

    Say, I would die.

    Exeunt PROCULEIUS and Soldiers

DOLABELLA

    Most noble empress, you have heard of me?

CLEOPATRA

    I cannot tell.

DOLABELLA

    Assuredly you know me.

CLEOPATRA

    No matter, sir, what I have heard or known.
    You laugh when boys or women tell their dreams;
    Is't not your trick?

DOLABELLA

    I understand not, madam.

CLEOPATRA

    I dream'd there was an Emperor Antony:
    O, such another sleep, that I might see
    But such another man!

DOLABELLA

    If it might please ye,--

CLEOPATRA

    His face was as the heavens; and therein stuck
    A sun and moon, which kept their course,
    and lighted
    The little O, the earth.

DOLABELLA

    Most sovereign creature,--

CLEOPATRA

    His legs bestrid the ocean: his rear'd arm
    Crested the world: his voice was propertied
    As all the tuned spheres, and that to friends;
    But when he meant to quail and shake the orb,
    He was as rattling thunder. For his bounty,
    There was no winter in't; an autumn 'twas
    That grew the more by reaping: his delights
    Were dolphin-like; they show'd his back above
    The element they lived in: in his livery
    Walk'd crowns and crownets; realms and islands were
    As plates dropp'd from his pocket.

DOLABELLA

    Cleopatra!

CLEOPATRA

    Think you there was, or might be, such a man
    As this I dream'd of?

DOLABELLA

    Gentle madam, no.

CLEOPATRA

    You lie, up to the hearing of the gods.
    But, if there be, or ever were, one such,
    It's past the size of dreaming: nature wants stuff
    To vie strange forms with fancy; yet, to imagine
    And Antony, were nature's piece 'gainst fancy,
    Condemning shadows quite.

DOLABELLA

    Hear me, good madam.
    Your loss is as yourself, great; and you bear it
    As answering to the weight: would I might never
    O'ertake pursued success, but I do feel,
    By the rebound of yours, a grief that smites
    My very heart at root.

CLEOPATRA

    I thank you, sir,
    Know you what Caesar means to do with me?

DOLABELLA

    I am loath to tell you what I would you knew.

CLEOPATRA

    Nay, pray you, sir,--

DOLABELLA

    Though he be honourable,--

CLEOPATRA

    He'll lead me, then, in triumph?

DOLABELLA

    Madam, he will; I know't.

    Flourish, and shout within, 'Make way there: Octavius Caesar!'

    Enter OCTAVIUS CAESAR, GALLUS, PROCULEIUS, MECAENAS, SELEUCUS, and others of his Train

OCTAVIUS CAESAR

    Which is the Queen of Egypt?

DOLABELLA

    It is the emperor, madam.

    CLEOPATRA kneels

OCTAVIUS CAESAR

    Arise, you shall not kneel:
    I pray you, rise; rise, Egypt.

CLEOPATRA

    Sir, the gods
    Will have it thus; my master and my lord
    I must obey.

OCTAVIUS CAESAR

    Take to you no hard thoughts:
    The record of what injuries you did us,
    Though written in our flesh, we shall remember
    As things but done by chance.

CLEOPATRA

    Sole sir o' the world,
    I cannot project mine own cause so well
    To make it clear; but do confess I have
    Been laden with like frailties which before
    Have often shamed our sex.

OCTAVIUS CAESAR

    Cleopatra, know,
    We will extenuate rather than enforce:
    If you apply yourself to our intents,
    Which towards you are most gentle, you shall find
    A benefit in this change; but if you seek
    To lay on me a cruelty, by taking
    Antony's course, you shall bereave yourself
    Of my good purposes, and put your children
    To that destruction which I'll guard them from,
    If thereon you rely. I'll take my leave.

CLEOPATRA

    And may, through all the world: 'tis yours; and we,
    Your scutcheons and your signs of conquest, shall
    Hang in what place you please. Here, my good lord.

OCTAVIUS CAESAR

    You shall advise me in all for Cleopatra.

CLEOPATRA

    This is the brief of money, plate, and jewels,
    I am possess'd of: 'tis exactly valued;
    Not petty things admitted. Where's Seleucus?

SELEUCUS

    Here, madam.

CLEOPATRA

    This is my treasurer: let him speak, my lord,
    Upon his peril, that I have reserved
    To myself nothing. Speak the truth, Seleucus.

SELEUCUS

    Madam,
    I had rather seal my lips, than, to my peril,
    Speak that which is not.

CLEOPATRA

    What have I kept back?

SELEUCUS

    Enough to purchase what you have made known.

OCTAVIUS CAESAR

    Nay, blush not, Cleopatra; I approve
    Your wisdom in the deed.

CLEOPATRA

    See, Caesar! O, behold,
    How pomp is follow'd! mine will now be yours;
    And, should we shift estates, yours would be mine.
    The ingratitude of this Seleucus does
    Even make me wild: O slave, of no more trust
    Than love that's hired! What, goest thou back? thou shalt
    Go back, I warrant thee; but I'll catch thine eyes,
    Though they had wings: slave, soulless villain, dog!
    O rarely base!

OCTAVIUS CAESAR

    Good queen, let us entreat you.

CLEOPATRA

    O Caesar, what a wounding shame is this,
    That thou, vouchsafing here to visit me,
    Doing the honour of thy lordliness
    To one so meek, that mine own servant should
    Parcel the sum of my disgraces by
    Addition of his envy! Say, good Caesar,
    That I some lady trifles have reserved,
    Immoment toys, things of such dignity
    As we greet modern friends withal; and say,
    Some nobler token I have kept apart
    For Livia and Octavia, to induce
    Their mediation; must I be unfolded
    With one that I have bred? The gods! it smites me
    Beneath the fall I have.

    To SELEUCUS
    Prithee, go hence;
    Or I shall show the cinders of my spirits
    Through the ashes of my chance: wert thou a man,
    Thou wouldst have mercy on me.

OCTAVIUS CAESAR

    Forbear, Seleucus.

    Exit SELEUCUS

CLEOPATRA

    Be it known, that we, the greatest, are misthought
    For things that others do; and, when we fall,
    We answer others' merits in our name,
    Are therefore to be pitied.

OCTAVIUS CAESAR

    Cleopatra,
    Not what you have reserved, nor what acknowledged,
    Put we i' the roll of conquest: still be't yours,
    Bestow it at your pleasure; and believe,
    Caesar's no merchant, to make prize with you
    Of things that merchants sold. Therefore be cheer'd;
    Make not your thoughts your prisons: no, dear queen;
    For we intend so to dispose you as
    Yourself shall give us counsel. Feed, and sleep:
    Our care and pity is so much upon you,
    That we remain your friend; and so, adieu.

CLEOPATRA

    My master, and my lord!

OCTAVIUS CAESAR

    Not so. Adieu.

    Flourish. Exeunt OCTAVIUS CAESAR and his train

CLEOPATRA

    He words me, girls, he words me, that I should not
    Be noble to myself: but, hark thee, Charmian.

    Whispers CHARMIAN

IRAS

    Finish, good lady; the bright day is done,
    And we are for the dark.

CLEOPATRA

    Hie thee again:
    I have spoke already, and it is provided;
    Go put it to the haste.

CHARMIAN

    Madam, I will.

    Re-enter DOLABELLA

DOLABELLA

    Where is the queen?

CHARMIAN

    Behold, sir.

    Exit

CLEOPATRA

    Dolabella!

DOLABELLA

    Madam, as thereto sworn by your command,
    Which my love makes religion to obey,
    I tell you this: Caesar through Syria
    Intends his journey; and within three days
    You with your children will he send before:
    Make your best use of this: I have perform'd
    Your pleasure and my promise.

CLEOPATRA

    Dolabella,
    I shall remain your debtor.

DOLABELLA

    I your servant,
    Adieu, good queen; I must attend on Caesar.

CLEOPATRA

    Farewell, and thanks.

    Exit DOLABELLA
    Now, Iras, what think'st thou?
    Thou, an Egyptian puppet, shalt be shown
    In Rome, as well as I mechanic slaves
    With greasy aprons, rules, and hammers, shall
    Uplift us to the view; in their thick breaths,
    Rank of gross diet, shall be enclouded,
    And forced to drink their vapour.

IRAS

    The gods forbid!

CLEOPATRA

    Nay, 'tis most certain, Iras: saucy lictors
    Will catch at us, like strumpets; and scald rhymers
    Ballad us out o' tune: the quick comedians
    Extemporally will stage us, and present
    Our Alexandrian revels; Antony
    Shall be brought drunken forth, and I shall see
    Some squeaking Cleopatra boy my greatness
    I' the posture of a whore.

IRAS

    O the good gods!

CLEOPATRA

    Nay, that's certain.

IRAS

    I'll never see 't; for, I am sure, my nails
    Are stronger than mine eyes.

CLEOPATRA

    Why, that's the way
    To fool their preparation, and to conquer
    Their most absurd intents.

    Re-enter CHARMIAN
    Now, Charmian!
    Show me, my women, like a queen: go fetch
    My best attires: I am again for Cydnus,
    To meet Mark Antony: sirrah Iras, go.
    Now, noble Charmian, we'll dispatch indeed;
    And, when thou hast done this chare, I'll give thee leave
    To play till doomsday. Bring our crown and all.
    Wherefore's this noise?

    Exit IRAS. A noise within

    Enter a Guardsman

Guard

    Here is a rural fellow
    That will not be denied your highness presence:
    He brings you figs.

CLEOPATRA

    Let him come in.

    Exit Guardsman
    What poor an instrument
    May do a noble deed! he brings me liberty.
    My resolution's placed, and I have nothing
    Of woman in me: now from head to foot
    I am marble-constant; now the fleeting moon
    No planet is of mine.

    Re-enter Guardsman, with Clown bringing in a basket

Guard

    This is the man.

CLEOPATRA

    Avoid, and leave him.

    Exit Guardsman
    Hast thou the pretty worm of Nilus there,
    That kills and pains not?

Clown

    Truly, I have him: but I would not be the party
    that should desire you to touch him, for his biting
    is immortal; those that do die of it do seldom or
    never recover.

CLEOPATRA

    Rememberest thou any that have died on't?

Clown

    Very many, men and women too. I heard of one of
    them no longer than yesterday: a very honest woman,
    but something given to lie; as a woman should not
    do, but in the way of honesty: how she died of the
    biting of it, what pain she felt: truly, she makes
    a very good report o' the worm; but he that will
    believe all that they say, shall never be saved by
    half that they do: but this is most fallible, the
    worm's an odd worm.

CLEOPATRA

    Get thee hence; farewell.

Clown

    I wish you all joy of the worm.

    Setting down his basket

CLEOPATRA

    Farewell.

Clown

    You must think this, look you, that the worm will
    do his kind.

CLEOPATRA

    Ay, ay; farewell.

Clown

    Look you, the worm is not to be trusted but in the
    keeping of wise people; for, indeed, there is no
    goodness in worm.

CLEOPATRA

    Take thou no care; it shall be heeded.

Clown

    Very good. Give it nothing, I pray you, for it is
    not worth the feeding.

CLEOPATRA

    Will it eat me?

Clown

    You must not think I am so simple but I know the
    devil himself will not eat a woman: I know that a
    woman is a dish for the gods, if the devil dress her
    not. But, truly, these same whoreson devils do the
    gods great harm in their women; for in every ten
    that they make, the devils mar five.

CLEOPATRA

    Well, get thee gone; farewell.

Clown

    Yes, forsooth: I wish you joy o' the worm.

    Exit

    Re-enter IRAS with a robe, crown, & c

CLEOPATRA

    Give me my robe, put on my crown; I have
    Immortal longings in me: now no more
    The juice of Egypt's grape shall moist this lip:
    Yare, yare, good Iras; quick. Methinks I hear
    Antony call; I see him rouse himself
    To praise my noble act; I hear him mock
    The luck of Caesar, which the gods give men
    To excuse their after wrath: husband, I come:
    Now to that name my courage prove my title!
    I am fire and air; my other elements
    I give to baser life. So; have you done?
    Come then, and take the last warmth of my lips.
    Farewell, kind Charmian; Iras, long farewell.

    Kisses them. IRAS falls and dies
    Have I the aspic in my lips? Dost fall?
    If thou and nature can so gently part,
    The stroke of death is as a lover's pinch,
    Which hurts, and is desired. Dost thou lie still?
    If thus thou vanishest, thou tell'st the world
    It is not worth leave-taking.

CHARMIAN

    Dissolve, thick cloud, and rain; that I may say,
    The gods themselves do weep!

CLEOPATRA

    This proves me base:
    If she first meet the curled Antony,
    He'll make demand of her, and spend that kiss
    Which is my heaven to have. Come, thou
    mortal wretch,

    To an asp, which she applies to her breast
    With thy sharp teeth this knot intrinsicate
    Of life at once untie: poor venomous fool
    Be angry, and dispatch. O, couldst thou speak,
    That I might hear thee call great Caesar ass
    Unpolicied!

CHARMIAN

    O eastern star!

CLEOPATRA

    Peace, peace!
    Dost thou not see my baby at my breast,
    That sucks the nurse asleep?

CHARMIAN

    O, break! O, break!

CLEOPATRA

    As sweet as balm, as soft as air, as gentle,--
    O Antony!--Nay, I will take thee too.

    Applying another asp to her arm
    What should I stay--

    Dies

CHARMIAN

    In this vile world? So, fare thee well.
    Now boast thee, death, in thy possession lies
    A lass unparallel'd. Downy windows, close;
    And golden Phoebus never be beheld
    Of eyes again so royal! Your crown's awry;
    I'll mend it, and then play.

    Enter the Guard, rushing in

First Guard

    Where is the queen?

CHARMIAN

    Speak softly, wake her not.

First Guard

    Caesar hath sent--

CHARMIAN

    Too slow a messenger.

    Applies an asp
    O, come apace, dispatch! I partly feel thee.

First Guard

    Approach, ho! All's not well: Caesar's beguiled.

Second Guard

    There's Dolabella sent from Caesar; call him.

First Guard

    What work is here! Charmian, is this well done?

CHARMIAN

    It is well done, and fitting for a princess
    Descended of so many royal kings.
    Ah, soldier!

    Dies

    Re-enter DOLABELLA

DOLABELLA

    How goes it here?

Second Guard

    All dead.

DOLABELLA

    Caesar, thy thoughts
    Touch their effects in this: thyself art coming
    To see perform'd the dreaded act which thou
    So sought'st to hinder.

    Within 'A way there, a way for Caesar!'

    Re-enter OCTAVIUS CAESAR and all his train marching

DOLABELLA

    O sir, you are too sure an augurer;
    That you did fear is done.

OCTAVIUS CAESAR

    Bravest at the last,
    She levell'd at our purposes, and, being royal,
    Took her own way. The manner of their deaths?
    I do not see them bleed.

DOLABELLA

    Who was last with them?

First Guard

    A simple countryman, that brought her figs:
    This was his basket.

OCTAVIUS CAESAR

    Poison'd, then.

First Guard

    O Caesar,
    This Charmian lived but now; she stood and spake:
    I found her trimming up the diadem
    On her dead mistress; tremblingly she stood
    And on the sudden dropp'd.

OCTAVIUS CAESAR

    O noble weakness!
    If they had swallow'd poison, 'twould appear
    By external swelling: but she looks like sleep,
    As she would catch another Antony
    In her strong toil of grace.

DOLABELLA

    Here, on her breast,
    There is a vent of blood and something blown:
    The like is on her arm.

First Guard

    This is an aspic's trail: and these fig-leaves
    Have slime upon them, such as the aspic leaves
    Upon the caves of Nile.

OCTAVIUS CAESAR

    Most probable
    That so she died; for her physician tells me
    She hath pursued conclusions infinite
    Of easy ways to die. Take up her bed;
    And bear her women from the monument:
    She shall be buried by her Antony:
    No grave upon the earth shall clip in it
    A pair so famous. High events as these
    Strike those that make them; and their story is
    No less in pity than his glory which
    Brought them to be lamented. Our army shall
    In solemn show attend this funeral;
    And then to Rome. Come, Dolabella, see
    High order in this great solemnity.

    Exeunt

Nessun commento: